[CentOS-devel] Proposal for CentOS dist-git design

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Nov 25 16:07:54 UTC 2014

On 11/25/2014 09:47 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
> On 11/25/2014 09:30 AM, Honza Horak wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> this is related to the new SCL SIG [1], which is supposed to bring SCL
>> development into CentOS, which is supposed to become upstream for
>> Software Collections.
>>
>> I've promised I'd look at how dist-git could look like on CentOS side,
>> since we want to start keeping source code for SCLs under CentOS soon.
>>
>> So, [2] is a proposal -- please, take a look at it, so we have
>> something to start with. Let's see if it is feasible.
>>
>> We can also move it to CentOS wiki, which would be more appropriate
>> place for it, but I cannot figure out a where I have permissions to
>> add some new content to.
>>
>> More information about Software Collections concepts is available at [3].
>>
>> What next? I think we should gather some feedback on this proposal,
>> try to figure out open questions there. Then we will pick up some
>> software collection and create some PoC build from CentOS dist-git.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Honza
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo
>> [2]
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Hhorak/Draft/centos-scl-git-proposal
>> [3] https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/docs/guide/
>
> My primary concern with [2] is how it integrates with the existing SCLs
> withing git.c.o.  [4]

The existing (rhscl)SCL code on g.c.o won't change. This would add new
branches to existing packages, and create some new packages with scl-*
branch names unless they find their way into rhscl as well. The C6, C7
branch names are protected.

> As a downstream consumer, I would prefer not to rebuild my workflow.

With this method, you shouldn't have to.

> [4] a few quick examples:
> https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!mysql55-mysql
> https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!nodejs010-nodejs-mongodb
> https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!postgresql92-postgresql
> https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!python33-mod_wsgi

As I understand it, these would get a branch name like scl-mysql55 where
the software-collections.org maintainers would have branch level commit
access. Things in the c7 branch would be left untouched.

Does that help to answer your questions? Does this method impact your
current workflow?

--
Jim Perrin