[CentOS-devel] Policy for Ad-Hoc Upstreams: Development Hosting

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 03:19:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Brian Stinson <bstinson at ksu.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In the CBS/Infra meeting on Monday we agreed to start a discussion here
> on the mailing list about how to handle "ad-hoc" upstreams. An ad-hoc
> upstream could best be described as a project we would like to ship that
> is developed within the CentOS community (centpkg is one example).

Is there some reason the work cannot or should not go into getting the
packages into Fedora and EPEL? I realize there's a much more
professional relationship with RHEL now that git.centos.org is the
RHEL 7 publication repo, and that EPEL will not publish tools that
overlap with RHEL upstream and thus overlap with CentOS, for a lot of
very good reasons.

> Developers of an ad-hoc upstream need some extra infra (e.g. a git repo
> for doing active development) in addition to the dist-git repo on
> git.centos.org where the package specs live.
>
> I would like to start the policy and procedure discussion with the
> following proposals:
>
> - Host the ad-hoc development repositories on git.centos.org in separate
>   Gitblit projects
>
> - Host the ad-hoc development repositories on Github, linked to the
>   CentOS project group
>
> - Host the ad-hoc development repositories someplace else?
>
> Thanks!
> Brian

It takes some work if you're overlapping the core OS packages, work
that I'm sure CentOS developers are familiar with. I personally
publish toolsl for that for RT version 4 and Samba version 4 at
https://github.com/nkadel/.