[CentOS-devel] Question about generating a spin of CentOS 7

Doug Wellington ddw at rincon.com
Thu Oct 30 18:41:08 UTC 2014

Previously:
> I have been asked to create a customized install DVD that would
> automatically install - i.e. use a custom kickstart file.  To do
> that, I would add the ks file to the isolinux directory, and patch
> isolinux.cfg to pass my ks file to anaconda via the kernel cmd line.

And:
> As to pxe / network, I agree that that is better in most cases, and
>  while I can do that locally, it would be impossible with remote sites
>  that lack decent connectivity.  They will need physical media.

I too am working on a custom install.  I need to be able to send a self-contained disc to a site that has no Internet connection and limited technical support.  I want the local person to be able to boot from the disc and select the install from a menu.

In this case, I don't care about making a custom kernel; I'm looking for an easier way to manage the RPM repository and the comps.xml file.  Why?  Well, I need to make as much room on the installer disc as I can for our custom applications, while still including everything needed for a functioning system.

I've tried the "minimal" install disc, but it just doesn't have everything we need, so I have been copying RPMs from the full install and manually editing the comps.xml, then running repoclosure, verifytree, etc.  Is there an easier way?

Regards,
Doug