[CentOS-devel] Question about generating a spin of CentOS 7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 31 14:57:43 UTC 2014

On 10/31/2014 09:35 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> No, I don't think so, as one has to buid the vmlinuz/initrd.img and
>>> other bits before being able to respin such variant .. but that's not
>>> what you asked for iirc :-)
>>>

>> Also, worth noting that if you are building the entire installer and
>> environment, you should not be calling your end result 'CentOS', you've
>> effectively built a fork of CentOS.
>
> That's, ummm, interesting... when the end result is going to be
> exactly the same as a stock install plus some other stuff and the only
> difference is the automation of adding the other stuff.   Do the rest
> of us have to rename our systems too?

Rebuilding the installer would then modify the .discinfo and .treeinfo
of the install and it would make that ISO not work against any normal
CentOS tree.  It then is no longer CentOS and you can't distribute that
as CentOS.  Fairly simple.

If you want to rebuild an installer and redistribute something, that is
what SIGs are for.  Community reviewed and agreed upon process, produced
on the official CentOS Community Build System.  It can be called CentOS
and the entire process will be completely open and available to all SIGs
that need them.  It will also be approved by the CentOS Board.

So, yes, if you change the directories that make it CentOS, respin those
parts of the ISO (ie, change the installer parts, the treeinfo and
discinfo), and try to redistribute that then it is not CentOS.

If, on the other hand, you take a minimal install ISO, leave all the
original pieces alone, add other stuff to it that is additive only, then
it is your thing on top of CentOS as a kickstart to happen after the
CentOS install .. and you can call it 'Your Thing' on CentOS.  But you
can't call that just CentOS .. it is 'Your Thing' on CentOS.