[CentOS-devel] Question about generating a spin of CentOS 7

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:52:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Doug Wellington <ddw at rincon.com> wrote:
> Previously:
>> I have been asked to create a customized install DVD that would
>> automatically install - i.e. use a custom kickstart file.  To do
>> that, I would add the ks file to the isolinux directory, and patch
>> isolinux.cfg to pass my ks file to anaconda via the kernel cmd line.
>
> And:
>> As to pxe / network, I agree that that is better in most cases, and
>>  while I can do that locally, it would be impossible with remote sites
>>  that lack decent connectivity.  They will need physical media.
>
> I too am working on a custom install.  I need to be able to send a self-contained disc to a site that has no Internet connection and limited technical support.  I want the local person to be able to boot from the disc and select the install from a menu.
>
> In this case, I don't care about making a custom kernel; I'm looking for an easier way to manage the RPM repository and the comps.xml file.  Why?  Well, I need to make as much room on the installer disc as I can for our custom applications, while still including everything needed for a functioning system.
>
> I've tried the "minimal" install disc, but it just doesn't have everything we need, so I have been copying RPMs from the full install and manually editing the comps.xml, then running repoclosure, verifytree, etc.  Is there an easier way?

Might be simpler in the long run to make it a 2-step process.  That
is, do a minimal OS install, then have a 2nd DVD or USB key that they
install after the base system with a script that upgrades any existing
rpms and installs the rest of what you need.  The 2nd step can then be
repeated as necessary for os and application updates.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com