[CentOS-devel] Question about generating a spin of CentOS 7

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 31 16:44:21 UTC 2014

On 10/31/2014 10:29 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>
>>>  I can see
>>> situations where a self-contained one-step install would be better.
>>> Maybe the minimal install build could look for a 2nd partition on the
>>> iso or a mounted usb for a continuation script.
>>>

>> Yes, that is called a kickstart and anaconda is designed specifically to
>> allow you to pass one in .. either locally or on the web, etc.  You
>> original install and be additive.
>
> I meant adding a standard place to look for the optional kickstart or
> post-install script to the stock minimal install.  A person who would
> have trouble logging in and running a script after a base install
> would not find typing the kickstart command line much easier.
>
>> You can do whatever you want on YOUR OWN systems and call it whatever
>> you want.  Anything you are smart enough to do.
>
> I thought that was the original context here.  Someone needing a
> remote install of a customized system - by a person who shouldn't be
> making any of the choices the installer offers.
>
>> If you tried to redistribute that as CentOS (your clonezilla images, for
>> exampel), and say that it is official CentOS, well it is not.  Official
>> CentOS is in the form that we release it, not some other form.
>> Especially not some other form where things are modified.
>>
>> You can't modify Ubuntu or Debian or OpenSUSE either, and then
>> distribute it and call it either of those things either.  This is why
>> Linux Mint is not Ubuntu and Ubuntu is not Debian ... but Linux mint is
>> 'based on Ubuntu' and Ubyntu is 'based on Debain'.  This is not rocket
>> science.
>
> Legalese is much worse than rocket science.  Where does a VM image fit
> in this scheme?  Can people build a VM image with an application
> installed for distribution and still identify the base system name?
> And if so, how/why is that different from any other copy?

No, The CentOS team creates VMs and cloud images and distributes them.
Those are official.  Things created by someone else are not official.
This is for YOUR protection.

Again, its simple.  And it is the same for any distro, not just CentOS.

You can't create a Ubuntu VM, especially one that is modified and call
it Ubuntu and distribute it.  Canonical can, you/we can't.

You can do anything you want on your local network though.  (Create gold
images, deploy them, etc.)  It is redistributing (and that means outside
your organization to the public) those that would be a problem.

Take Stella and Nux Dextop repo.  Basically, Stella is CentOS with Nux
Dextop installed.  He does not distribute that as CentOS, he distributes
it as Stella.  It is based on CentOS.  The Dextop repo is also available
to be installed on CentOS, if you want.  Both result in similar packages
and work the same way. Both of those are perfectly fine.

It would not be fine for Nux to add the things onto a CentOS ISO and
rebuild that ISO and call it CentOS and redistribute that, because it is
not CentOS.  He therefore calls it Stella and changes logos, etc.

You can give people CentOS ISOs and call that CentOS, you can use CentOS
to create 'Your Thing' and give that to people as 'Your Thing'.  You
can't call 'Your Thing' CentOS.  Why, because 'Your Thing' is not
actually CentOS. You can say 'Your Thing' is based on CentOS (if you
modified CentOS) .. or you can say 'Your Thing' runs on CentOS if you
distribute 'Your Thing' and an unmodified CentOS on the same media and
install it via a kickstart.