[CentOS-devel] getting epel-release into CentOS-7- extras/

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:40:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Isn't this something that should really be automated with some kind of
>>> scanning at the repository level (for both package and file name
>>> conflicts)?
>>>

>> What if some package from epel gets included by RH with an update? This
>> happened several times in the past and epel always kept their package
>> available, even if had a higher version number than the now official RH
>> package.
>>

> That should not happen (but it does because we aren't connected to what is
> in releases so end up with surprises every dot release) . Our process is
> meant to be the following:

Isn't there a tool that would tell you if you tried to add duplicate
packages or packages containing duplicate filenames in your own repo?
 And if so, can it be modified to work with the metadata from
additional repositories?  I think it would be great if there were some
central database view of all the popular 3rd party repo contents
showing 'if you install package x from repo y, you will have conflcts
with repo z" (etc.).   Instead of having to wait until after
installing and finding out the hard way.

But in particular, EPEL needs it to work against RHEL if they want to
be honest about their own policy statement (again, without waiting for
someone to find out the hard way and report it).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com