[CentOS-devel] Storage SIG Meeting minutes

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Wed Sep 17 16:04:20 UTC 2014

Hi Guys,

Attending:

Lalatendu Mohanty
Jim Perrin
Jonathan Billings
Ross Smith
Karanbir Singh

Here are the notes from the Stora SIG Meeting from the 17th Sept:

- Welcome Jonathan and Ross wanting to bring OpenAFS into the CentOS
Storage SIG.

OpenAFS:
- kmod kabi whitelist does not always work, but that isnt a problem with
the CentOS Linux buildsystem since we can do dependancy and trigger
builds. the openafs kmod would just need to have a trigger on the kernel
and they would then be rebuilt everytime a new kernel is done

- we will need some level of testing, since kmod' build + load isnt
enough of an assertion that the code will be usable

- there is no real dep chain beying the gcc build tools, kernel headers
and the kmod tool ( however, it wraps its own kmod tool )

- Jonathan to speak with upstream OpenAFS folks, both for their
involvement in the SIG as well as licensing and redistribution
permissions, if we need any

- We might be able to get a few nodes running in a CI fashion to prove
the builds are consumeable, and have that plumbed into the regular
CentOS CI infra.

- Lalatendu will attempt a srpm build for openAFS as a data point on how
much work might be needed for that to be release grade

GlusterFS:
- NFS Ganesha support needs some deps from EPEL: longer term we want to
strive for a direct relationship that works in a manner that we can
consume and contribute into EPEL, for now we will just pull the deps
into the StorageSIG build targets, but ensure any changes and proposed
patches are upstream ( where upstream in this case is EPEL ) for those deps.

- KB and Lalatendu to work on getting up a Gluster testing repo on
buildlogs.centos.org and deliver a centos-release-gluster macro package
to setup yum content

- Lalatendu to work on a short getting started wiki page, with urls
pointing to upstream docs for more info.

Next meeting on the 1st Oct, at 3:15 UTC on bluejeans.com; folks wanting
to attend should get in touch with KB.

regards,
--
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS