[CentOS-devel] planning and coordination with EPEL

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 20:54:06 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 08:50 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> So, for the short term(relatively speaking), it seems that CentOS
> contributors wishing to push packages into EPEL would need to follow
> epel policy[1] for getting their packages pushed.
>

> For some this is fine, as they're already contributing. For others, this
> is a duplicated workload with added stress.

What about SIGs using packages from EPEL (to resolve dependency) but
they lack skills to maintain those packages. Will EPEL folks will also
contribute back to CentOS eco-system?

> I'd like to propose that we form a group of CentOS participants who are
> fedora/EPEL packagers to curate packages marked for sharing.
>
> SIGs who have common packages to be shared would then be able to request
> that this group of curators submit the package via existing EPEL
> processes. This process assumes a couple things:
>
> 1. curators have access to modify the package in both systems (to
> correct things in spec files for example)
>
> 2. We adopt the fedora/EPEL packaging guidelines as much as possible to
> minimize changes required by the curators group.
>
> 3. We have some method of assigning package ownership to SIGs and to the
> curators.
>

> Longer-term, I think we'll be able to work something out with EPEL
> that's a bit less manual, but I think this process should work for now.

Do you mean, we will directly consume EPEL (if required) in SIGs? As of
now we add required packages from EPEL to the build root manually.

> Comments, questions, suggested changes before I propose this to the EPEL
> folks as well?
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

Thanks,
Lala