[CentOS-devel] CentOS 6 on ppc64 - OpenJDK

Bryson Lee Bryson.Lee at sslmda.com
Thu Sep 25 15:58:29 UTC 2014

> On 09/25/2014 07:24 AM, Kai-Thorsten Hambrecht wrote:
> > Does anyone have a proper bootstrap build chain to successfully build
> > the OpenJDK-7 package (java-1.7.0-openjdk). Or does anyone have
> > already build ppc64 packges?
>
> AFAIK, OpenJDK for POWER isn't really done yet.  I believe you have to use a
> JVM from IBM.

OpenJDK 1.6 was packaged for Fedora12 PPC; we used it initially for one of our applications but eventually ran into performance problems since IIR there wasn't really  a JIT on PPC.  We switched to the IBM JDK, which we repackaged locally based on a specfile adapted from (I think) something at JPackage.org.

I dropped the specfile in a gist at https://gist.github.com/063fbd8733ea15e149dc.git, in case you might find it useful.

Regards,

-Bryson

 Please note that my e-mail address has changed. My new (current) address is Bryson.Lee at sslmda.com.
 This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and any attachments.