[CentOS-devel] centos 6 to 7 upgrade tool report

David Mansfield centos at dm.cobite.com
Mon Sep 29 14:09:00 UTC 2014

On 09/27/2014 05:43 PM, Bert wrote:
> [...]
> process ended up in an emergency shell.  This will scare some people,
> so I will be adding a specific note about checking for mount points
> (specifically that use FUSE add-ons) and a suggestion to comment them
> out of /etc/fstab before running the preupgrade advisor.
>
> I suggest commenting them out and unmounting before running the
> advisor because (from what I gather) the tool scans and any all mount
> points collecting a list of files, which wastes time on the NTFS
> partition. You wouldn't expect someone to install Linux-related
> libraries or executables on their NTFS partition... though you never know.
> One system of mine also had a md RAID6 array, which I unmounted and
> commented out for the same reasons above.
>
> After the upgrade, yum isntall ntfs-3g went as expected, and
> un-commenting the mountpoint got it mounting again.
> I'm glad that worked for you in the end.
>
> Perhaps there are issues with automount that you were encountering
> prior to the upgrade.  With the new
>
> Regarding issue #2:
> My write-up basically guides the user through removing (read as
> exorcising if you'll pardon the expression) anything X Window System
> and Gnome related before running the upgrade advisor (at least for the
> last time).
> I include the X window system packages because there have been a few
> changes that I suspect would lead to a "bad experience".  Some
> preferences seem to have been brought across after a re-install once
> running C7.
>
> There was a couple of tricks I did before the upgrade.
> 1. Change to runlevel 3 so the GUI doesn't start up straight after the
> upgrade.  (i.e. get to a text-only shell) so we can re-install our GUI
> aftewards.
> 2. Removed X, Gnome and MESA packages.
>
> I had disabled NetworkManager and for the interfaces in the ifcfg
> scripts so I can't comment on NM-related issues but there were a few
> niggles after the upgrade.
>
> Post upgrade...
>
> yum groups mark convert
> to fix the group package assignment changes between C6 and C7.
>
> yum groups install "GNOME Desktop" "Graphical Administration Tools"
> to install GNOME again... It's no longer "yum groupinstall ....."
>
> This more/less got GNOME up and running again for me  (via VNC server)
>
> Once in GNOME, use the package maanger to install anything else.
>
> /etc/inittab is no longer relevant.  Use
> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target
> /etc/systemd/system/default.target
> to get X and your window manager starting up by default.
>
> Network manager:
> Was starting again by default.   Once I got around that, and switching
> over to fiewall-cmd (from plain IPTABLES) and setting up an
> appropriate zone, my networking has been fine.
>
> May I ask, why did you choose to install MATE?  Could you not get
> GNOME working?
> Can anyone else comment on NM?  (before and after)

Hi Bert,

Here's another NetworkManager one that I just learned about which took
about 30 minutes hard debugging to find out (and I'm not the first one
to be bitten, see link below).

(Regarding MATE - It's our desktop of choice because it's MUCH more
friendly for remote access.  We used NX and the x2go for a long time,
and GNOME3 was broken in that environment.  Recently we starting using
VM's and SPICE, and although it runs (with software 3d emulation) it's a
slow, fat, pig so we prefer MATE.  So it all boils down to remote access...)

Openvpn in C7 does not allow for "md5" signed certificates by default,
even though C6 _AND_ the latest Fedora both allow them. The clue is in
the client side log:

|Mon Jul 14 16:24:23 2014 us=213271 TLS_ERROR: BIO read
tls_read_plaintext error: error:14090086:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

And the solution (as documented originally here:
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=47210) is to either
get re-issued certificates, or change the environment variables that the
NetworkManager service run under. In
/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service

[Service]
Environment="OPENSSL_ENABLE_MD5_VERIFY=1 NSS_HASH_ALG_SUPPORT=+MD5"

|||Then:|

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl restart  NetworkManager.service

Hope this helps someone else (I'm never going to forget!)

Oh, and another one that I haven't figured out yet: my C7 machines I
installed from scratch do dual logging (journalctl and
/var/log/messages) while the upgraded one is only journalctl.

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield