[CentOS-devel] planning and coordination with EPEL

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Tue Sep 23 15:20:22 UTC 2014

So, for the short term(relatively speaking), it seems that CentOS
contributors wishing to push packages into EPEL would need to follow
epel policy[1] for getting their packages pushed.

For some this is fine, as they're already contributing. For others, this
is a duplicated workload with added stress.

I'd like to propose that we form a group of CentOS participants who are
fedora/EPEL packagers to curate packages marked for sharing.

SIGs who have common packages to be shared would then be able to request
that this group of curators submit the package via existing EPEL
processes. This process assumes a couple things:

1. curators have access to modify the package in both systems (to
correct things in spec files for example)

2. We adopt the fedora/EPEL packaging guidelines as much as possible to
minimize changes required by the curators group.

3. We have some method of assigning package ownership to SIGs and to the
curators.

Longer-term, I think we'll be able to work something out with EPEL
that's a bit less manual, but I think this process should work for now.

Comments, questions, suggested changes before I propose this to the EPEL
folks as well?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

--
Jim Perrin