[CentOS-devel] centos 6 to 7 upgrade tool report

David Mansfield

centos at dm.cobite.com
Fri Sep 26 14:00:15 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I used the upgrade tool on a centos 6.5 fully-updated system, used as a
graphical workstation with GDM and gnome2.

Before going into details, I want to thank the CentOS team for all the
hard work over the years, and especially the top-notch effort to get C7
out, and kudos to the individuals getting the upgrade tool to work too.
I feel spoiled.

Back to the story:

The system had significant use of 3rd party repositories.

After I ran the pre-upgrade tool, I used the report of "unsigned"
packages (which includes the source repo in the report, which is very
useful) to remove all of these packages before update.

I ran the tool again and was satisfied that the list of inplace upgrade
risks was acceptable and ran the update.

Issue#1:
The system upgraded and rebooted to the emergency recovery shell. This
was because an NTFS partition could not be mounted (ntfs-3g not
installed by default during upgrade for some reason). This was somewhat
a problem for the user before the upgrade, so I cannot be 100% sure that
mounting this a boot was always working 100% before.

Solution#1
I commented it from fstab and rebooted - 1st problem solved (see Issue#4
below).

Issue#2:
The system booted to a black screen with a movable mouse cursor - GDM
not working.

I tried a bunch of things - uninstalling GNOME stuff, re-installing,
installing a bunch of package groups.  This one had me stumped for quite
a while.

Solution#2
Ultimately, the solution was (I believe) that some modifications in
/etc/pam.d needed to be merged from the .rpmnew files.

On this system, I don't believe the pam.d configuration had been
modified from defaults, so I copied the .rpmnew files over (beware: this
can be dangerous) and voila!

Issue#3:
I installed MATE Desktop from epel, and things looked good except that
NetworkManager wasn't running:

Solution#3:
service NetworkManager start
chkconfig NetworkManager on

Issue#4:
Back to the NTFS volume not mounting.

Solution#4:
I installed ntfs-3g packages and everything mounts fine through
nautilus, which is all the user needs.

Now everything I could test is working, spice client, Citrix client,
google-chrome, vlc, rhythmbox playing mp3s, handbrake (thanks "nux"
again), VPN etc.

Hope this helps, I was going to update the wiki, but there's no edit button!

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield