[CentOS-devel] Proposal: CBS/Infrastructure Meeting 15-Sep-2014 13:00 UTC

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 19:22:52 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 09:32 AM, Brian Stinson wrote:
> On Sep 16 17:23, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Should we try and get a ToDo List together for the outstanding
>> work ? That gives us a target to drive towards. Maybe even a
>> trello board, so we can easily monitor who's doing what and who
>> needs help where.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -- Karanbir Singh +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ |
>> twitter.com/kbsingh GnuPG Key :
>> http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
>
> That sounds like a good idea, Is there already a Trello
> organization out there? I'm wondering if we should include the
> bugtracker as well.

I missed the meeting this week but read the log. It seemed one of our
major blockers in the auth system. I was thinking it might be useful
if we setup an instance of FreeIPA and Fedora Account System (FAS) to
do a side-by-side comparison?

I'm available to work on the FAS instance this week, if there is
anyone with FAS experience who can help or give advice, please do. :)
I'm asking Fabian if he can setup a few of VMs for the auth tryout -
something disposable where folks helping can get ssh + sudo to do the
work. Just to be accurate, we may want to have a separate VM for the
database as that's likely how we'd configure it in the end.

https://github.com/fedora-infra/fas/blob/develop/INSTALL
http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/el/6/x86_64/
http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/el/7/x86_64/

Fedora is currently running FAS2 on EL6, primarily due to TurboGears
requirements. I was told we can run the Postgres instance on CentOS 7,
but trying to do the FAS2 on CentOS 7 sounds like a bit of a rathole
right now. Anyway, lots of *.centos.org runs on CentOS 6, so no
worries there. (FAS3 is coming end-of-year aiui, and it will run on
CentOS 7.)

Anyone interested in setting up FreeIPA for a comparison?

We do know of one blocker for FreeIPA, which is that it doesn't have
user self-service features - you can't reset your own password, etc.
That may not be a problem for us if we have <200 users on the
Koji+git, but if we use IPA for more than that, we'll have a scaling
problem. One option is to code the module(s) ourselves, which is
nothing I'm able to do. :)

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41