[CentOS-devel] planning and coordination with EPEL

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Tue Sep 23 23:13:00 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 03:54 PM, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
> On 09/23/2014 08:50 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> So, for the short term(relatively speaking), it seems that CentOS
>> contributors wishing to push packages into EPEL would need to follow
>> epel policy[1] for getting their packages pushed.
>>

>> For some this is fine, as they're already contributing. For others, this
>> is a duplicated workload with added stress.
>>

> What about SIGs using packages from EPEL (to resolve dependency) but
> they lack skills to maintain those packages. Will EPEL folks will also
> contribute back to CentOS eco-system?

You could argue that EPEL is already contributing simply by delivering
the current repositories.

I haven't brought this proposal to EPEL yet, as I want to make sure
everyone (or at least the majority) is okay with this from our side. The
existing EPEL policies for bug reporting and bug fixes are likely to
remain, so if you're using them now, you'll be no worse off in the
future than you presently are.

>> Longer-term, I think we'll be able to work something out with EPEL
>> that's a bit less manual, but I think this process should work for now.
>
> Do you mean, we will directly consume EPEL (if required) in SIGs? As of
> now we add required packages from EPEL to the build root manually.

This would be something for the people running the build system to
answer. Currently epel-release is available, but it's a two step
process. First yum install epel-release, *then* install whatever deps
you need. I'm not certain if this can be managed for a particular build
target within koji, so I'll defer to someone else to answer.

--
Jim Perrin