[CentOS-devel] on Video

Thu Sep 18 14:59:44 UTC 2014
Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org>

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Here we have Colin Charles doing his MariaDB Deep dive on CentOS-7, at
> the Paris Dojo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWyf-huHps
> on my 2.5mbps adsl2+ link ( yes, its 2.5, no typos ); the quality of the
> youtube video is distinctly poorer compared with the local mp4 file I
> uploaded..

Here's what youtube-dl says is offered by youtube for that particular video:

$ youtube-dl -F 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWyf-huHps'
[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] Confirming age
[youtube] agWyf-huHps: Downloading webpage
[youtube] agWyf-huHps: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] agWyf-huHps: Extracting video information
[info] Available formats for agWyf-huHps:
format code extension resolution  note
140         m4a       audio only  DASH audio , audio at 128k (worst)
160         mp4       144p        DASH video , video only
133         mp4       240p        DASH video , video only
134         mp4       360p        DASH video , video only
135         mp4       480p        DASH video , video only
136         mp4       720p        DASH video , video only
17          3gp       176x144
36          3gp       320x240
5           flv       400x240
18          mp4       640x360
43          webm      640x360
22          mp4       1280x720    (best)

My guess is that you are playing it in your browser without mp4 support so you get the webm which is lower quality.

I prefer free formats myself so I just get the webm one myself.  I think the quality of it is fine.

If you want the higher quality video, you need a browser that advertises the ability to play mp4.  For more info so:

https://www.youtube.com/html5

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle