[CentOS-devel] Critical update for bash was released today.

Wed Sep 24 16:21:37 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 09/24/2014 10:54 AM, Matt Rose wrote:
> Maybe wait til the update has propagated to the mirrors.  I just did a
> yum update, and bash wasn't in the list of updates.
>
> [mattrose at tankhouse nchaos]$ rpm -q bash
> bash-4.2.45-5.el7.x86_64
> [mattrose at tankhouse nchaos]$ sudo yum update
> [sudo] password for mattrose:
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
>  * base: less.cogeco.net
>  * extras: less.cogeco.net
>  * updates: centos.mirror.rafal.ca
> No packages marked for update
>
> Is there anyway of pushing this (and other critical) updates more
> quickly?

We have millions of users .. so all the mirrors need to get updated, and
that takes time.

You could change the line in /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo from this:

mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/

to this:

#mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/

NOTE: this can result in slower updates as there are not nearly as many
servers on mirror.centos.org as the mirrorlist .. but it is an option.

I am sure that is also going to wrap ..

For informational purposes (about the actual bash issue):

http://red.ht/1uZGljA