[CentOS-devel] enhancing /etc/*-release

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Thu Apr 2 08:31:39 UTC 2015

On 04/02/2015 08:28 PM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Bryan Seitz wrote:
>
>> Team,
>>
>>   I would love to see /etc/os-release added to CentOS5 and CentOS6 as well.  Keep up the good work!
>
> But os-release is a systemd "feature"*. Seems unlikely to make it ?

Really?  On my system it's a very simple text file included with the
centos-release package.  I honestly can't see how having sys-v-init or
upstart would make it impossible or even remotely difficult to create
such a text file and include it in CentOS 5 and 6.

> I don't think it's possible to change all redhat-release usage anyway.

Well, fortunately it's not redhat-release, that's a package that comes
with RHEL.  CentOS comes with the package centos-release which is
specific to CentOS and therefore we should be able to make changes to
without worrying about upstream constraints.

Peter