[CentOS-devel] enhancing /etc/*-release

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Apr 2 15:34:58 UTC 2015

On 04/02/2015 11:27 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Why does something this simple [as figuring out what OS and version
> you're on] have to waste so much time?
Sorry for the editorial brackets there, Les, but that is, I think, an
accurate distillation of the previous paragraphs.

It's not simple because of the Perl mantra and the very nature of free
and open source development.  It is the beast we have; and as long as
consensus between disparate distributions of just Linux is not found on
this topic it will remain less simple than it could be.  Distributions
have vested interests - competitive, egotistic, and other - to do things
differently, and that's not likely to change, as much as I wish it
would.  And that's just within the Linux ecosystem.