[CentOS-devel] "CentOS.devel"

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 18:47:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 April 2015 at 09:27, Lokesh Mandvekar <lsm5 at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> > For a long time, Red Hat engineers have dropped public RPMs onto
>> > people.redhat.com.  Now that CentOS is a more official part of the family,
>> > it seems like an obvious idea to me, but why not create a "centos7-devel"
>> > branch that is public work that is intended to go into the next upstream
>> > update?
>> >
>> > Several of the existing repos like virt7-testing and atomic7-testing
>> > could simply be folded into this repo.
>>
>> +1, given that packages like docker could be relevant to atomic and virt.
>>

>> > As well as these "hand built" RPMs:
>> > http://people.redhat.com/lnykryn/systemd/
>> > http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs-RHEL-7.1-preview/
>> >
>> > And I'm sure others.
>>
>> I'd love to see epel get combined with this as well, but I'm probably
>> speaking with a docker-tunneled vision.
>>

> I don't think EPEL could fit in here because the audience for EPEL is a lot
> more conservative in what they want than what people working on anything
> from this decade want. 45% of EPEL users are EL-5, 50% are EL-6 and 5% are
> EL-7. Projects which are aimed at the EL-7 -> EL-8 space will get a lot of
> pushback from users when things get updated (this is the reason openstack
> and various other tools have had to been pulled from EPEL in the past..)
>
> That said, I had an idea called EPIC which might be a better place for these
> items.

I think you are missing the point of conservatism, which is about not
breaking things that already work well.  If you can containerize stuff
with docker or make it co-exist with stable/working versions with
scl-type packaging, I think you'd see much faster acceptance and wider
testing of new code.     Otherwise, rpm's normal concept of only
allowing one version to be installed at a time makes it very difficult
to keep your business running while testing something new.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com