[CentOS-devel] Hosting CentOS bugs on RH bugzilla

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:44:07 UTC 2015

On 7 April 2015 at 15:35, Lokesh Mandvekar <lsm5 at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Given that we now have a lot of co-operation amongst CentOS-RHEL-Fedora, I
> was hoping we could host CentOS bugs on RH's bugzilla instance itself
> under a
> CentOS product, just like how we have Fedora and RHEL products.
>
> My guess is this should make life easier for people who file/deal with
> bugs related
> to all 3 distros.
>
> Considering docker as an example, when people complain about docker bugs
> they
> notice on CentOS7, I'm not sure whether to ask them to file bugs on
> bugs.c.o or bugzilla.rh.c, as that bug is actually something from
> RHEL. My guess is their first choice is to file bugs on bugs.c.o.
> There's also the virt SIG 'docker' and 'docker-master' variants and
> these are not pulled from RHEL. For bugs related to these, I'll need to ask
> users to file bugs on bugs.c.o and if this affects fedora/rhel as well,
> there
> would be separate bugs on RH's bugzilla about this.
>
> I feel it'd be much more convenient for me
> (and possibly others) to keep track of bugs and reference them if
> they're all hosted in a single place.

So we have some Fedora people and we have some CentOS people, but we don't
have any of the people from Red Hat bugzilla team here to answer if this is
possible. One thing that I have gotten from talking with them in the past
is how much load Fedora puts on the bugzilla already (with about 1/2 -> 2/3
of the traffic and bugs) There have been discussions on whether it would be
better to have a seperate bugzilla for Fedora because many of the slow
times/outages in bugzilla are because Fedora is branching or some widely
used application is causing abrt reports like a rocket. I do not know if
they would want to add yet another operating system to that mix. [And no it
isn't a simple replication of the RHEL items in the database.. it requires
a couple of sacrifices of black roosters and a quart of unicorns spit. ]

> Comments?
>

> * This issue has been apparently raised in the past as per conversations
> with
> Evolution on #centos-devel but it's kinda hard to find out recorded history
> about it. If anyone could send logs about why this was rejected or
> whatever, it'd be great.
> --
> Lokesh
> Freenode, OFTC: lsm5