[CentOS-devel] "CentOS.devel"

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:51:21 UTC 2015

On 8 April 2015 at 18:20, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On 7 April 2015 at 09:27, Lokesh Mandvekar <lsm5 at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:

> family,
> "centos7-devel"
> upstream

> >> +1, given that packages like docker could be relevant to atomic and
> virt.

> >> I'd love to see epel get combined with this as well, but I'm probably
> >> speaking with a docker-tunneled vision.
> >>

> > I don't think EPEL could fit in here because the audience for EPEL is a
> lot
> > more conservative in what they want than what people working on anything
> > from this decade want. 45% of EPEL users are EL-5, 50% are EL-6 and 5%
> are
> > EL-7. Projects which are aimed at the EL-7 -> EL-8 space will get a lot
> of
> > pushback from users when things get updated (this is the reason openstack
> > and various other tools have had to been pulled from EPEL in the past..)
>
> That's partly because there are a *lot* of components in EPEL 6 than
> are present in EPEL 7. I ran headlong into this trying to build up RT
> version 4, the perl dependencies include something like 20 perl module
> SRPM's that are not in EPEL 7  or in CentOS 7. Many of them are
> available in EPEL 6.

I wish that were the smoking gun, but the growth graphs show that RHEL-5
and RHEL-6 started to grow only after the .2 release was out. At that point
the growth begins.

Most of the components are not in EL-7 because maintainers are expected to
actively put them into a particular release. We get way more pushback from
developers finding out that their package is in an EL without their
knowledge than we do from either consumers of EPEL not finding a particular
one. [And yes we get a lot of feedback from consumers saying 'why isn't
perl-xyz in there when it is in EL-5 and EL-6.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.