[CentOS-devel] including 3rd party repo release RPMs in Extras

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 00:17:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org> wrote:
> On 04/10/2015 01:34 AM, Carl George wrote:
>> I have worked on this a bit more, fixed a few typos, and clarified
>> some parts.  In particular, I added a sentence pointing out that not
>> all 3rd party repos necessarily work with each other.  Here is the
>> link again.
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/cgtx/b854281462a18007f509
>>
>> If no one has further suggestions for edits, what is the next step to
>> make it official?
>
> Looks good to me.  At this stage I think the only thing to add would be
> the actual instructions on how to get your -release file added to extras.

It needs another rule, I thinkk:

    * Stable packes do not *obsolete* packages from the standard repositories.

RHEL and CentOS in turn had serious conniptions when the 'ecj' package
was named, and renamed, and obsoleted without cautious version
settings for the packages being obsoleted. A lot of caution was needed
for 'mysql-libs' by various vendors, and it's still a nasty hairball
of a dependency for alternative MySQL or MariaDB installations. .