[CentOS-devel] RH patches v/s vanilla docker in CentOS

Lokesh Mandvekar lsm5 at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 28 17:27:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:54:09PM -0400, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On 04/21/2015 12:05 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > Which is why I thought we want RH type behavior (ie patches) on both our
> > fast moving and RHEL Atomic Host downstream branches for C7.  We need
> > stuff that works correctly with SELINUX and systemd on CentOS-7.  So,
> > IMHO, we want newer docker and RH patches.
>
> I certainly do - it doesn't make sense to me to have a faster moving
> Atomic missing the RHT patches and then put them into the rebuild. Let's
> be consistent as much as possible.
>
> Now, what the virt-SIG does is really up to them, maybe they intend to
> always ship vanilla upstream -- which is fine,

Well, I'd say my intent is to entertain as many people as I can, so CentOS
can retain and gain more users :). I'm willing to maintain as many variants
of docker to make everyone happy, but the current state of SIG package
maintenance on CentOS is probably not optimal for that. Perhaps once
dist-gits are available things will be easier. Or maybe I'm just doing it all
wrong (corrections welcome).

> but IMO it would make
> more sense to have a consistent story as much as possible.

Sure, many devs on this list and this thread are in favor of the RH patches,
but then again, there are many users and Docker upstream itself looking for a
vanilla build. That's the reason we need to account for this case too.