[CentOS-devel] enhancing /etc/*-release

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 03:01:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/04/15 00:39, Fred Smith wrote:

>> another less-than-optimal solution would be for app developers to
>> start using lsb_release to find out what distro and release they
>> are installing onto. of course, that's a different problem, in more
>> than one way, at least one of which is that lsb_release is not installed
>> by default.
>>
>> I'm switching the app installer for the program I maintain (at work)
>> to use lsb_release just because it's so much easier than  groping
>> /etc/redhat-release.
>>

> have you looked at /etc/os-release ? you can just source it and you get
> the content needed. I believe most people are trying to drive towards
> using that ( plus you dont need the lsb dep chain under it then )

I'm sorry, but I'm starring at
http://vault.centos.org/3.1/i386/RedHat/RPMS/centos-release-3.1-1.i386.rpm.
That primary configuration file reference of /etc/redhat-release dates
back at least to 2004, and I'm quite confused by why anyone wanted to
change it.

Mind you, *Fedora* is getting silly about things upsream When they
used both Unicode and bash syntatically relevant punction in the ine
release name for Fedora 19, which was "Schrödinger's Cat", it broke
even more tools.

                 Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>