[CentOS-devel] "CentOS.devel"

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 18:31:02 UTC 2015

On 7 April 2015 at 09:27, Lokesh Mandvekar <lsm5 at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > For a long time, Red Hat engineers have dropped public RPMs onto
> people.redhat.com.  Now that CentOS is a more official part of the
> family, it seems like an obvious idea to me, but why not create a
> "centos7-devel" branch that is public work that is intended to go into the
> next upstream update?
> >
> > Several of the existing repos like virt7-testing and atomic7-testing
> could simply be folded into this repo.
>
> +1, given that packages like docker could be relevant to atomic and virt.
>

> > As well as these "hand built" RPMs:
> > http://people.redhat.com/lnykryn/systemd/
> > http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs-RHEL-7.1-preview/
> >
> > And I'm sure others.
>
> I'd love to see epel get combined with this as well, but I'm probably
> speaking with a docker-tunneled vision.

I don't think EPEL could fit in here because the audience for EPEL is a lot
more conservative in what they want than what people working on anything
from this decade want. 45% of EPEL users are EL-5, 50% are EL-6 and 5% are
EL-7. Projects which are aimed at the EL-7 -> EL-8 space will get a lot of
pushback from users when things get updated (this is the reason openstack
and various other tools have had to been pulled from EPEL in the past..)

That said, I had an idea called EPIC which might be a better place for
these items.

> > (I wouldn't be surprised if this has come up before but I couldn't
> figure out any keywords that would find previous conversation on this topic
> from the archives)

> --
> Lokesh
> Freenode, OFTC: lsm5