[CentOS-devel] Hosting CentOS bugs on RH bugzilla

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 01:39:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 04/14/2015 05:46 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

>>> Effectively 0. We see the updates when they land in git, the same as
>>> everyone else.
>>
>> I'm going to be very confused if you do not, individually, have RHEL
>> licenses for early RPM and SRPM review. Are you saying that the git
>> repo updates occur simultaneously, or before, RPM and SRPM publication
>> for RHEL customers? I can imagine "clean room" reasons to avoid access
>> for CentOS core developers, but as a DevOps guy, I'll be surprised.
>
> Stand by to be surprised ... the first time I see any code from Red Hat
> that goes into CentOS is when it lands in git.centos.org (or for older
> distros, ftp.redhat.com).

Thank you for clarifying that. Since some CentOS key developers are
now Red Hat employees, the workflow is not completely clear.

> Community members of the QA channel can verify that we send information
> into that channel when updates are found on ftp or git.  I then build
> and push the updates.
>
> I do not have a RHEL subscription or access to RHEL SRPMS from inside
> RHN and I never have.

Lord, I have, precisely for development and debugging for both communities.

> I build almost every SRPM that gets released into every CentOS version,
> and my access to these things is unchanged from what it was 1, 2, 5, or
> 10 years ago.
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Thanks for explaining that. I remain surprised: I actually publish
tools for using 'reposync' to pull an internal mirror of RHEL
repositories for customers with licenses for RHEL, partly for patching
and building modified packages with 'mock' and publishing updates back
to RHEL or, as appropriate, CentOS. It's also handy for internal
updating against the frequently RHN yum repositories. The easy access
to CentOS repositories, and more graceful and efficient rsync
mirroring of that content, is actually a reason that some of my
clients have used CentOS instead of RHEL.

                     Nico Kadel-Garcia