[CentOS-devel] RH patches v/s vanilla docker in CentOS

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Apr 17 15:45:40 UTC 2015

On 04/17/2015 10:40 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 03:52 PM, Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:
>> I'm hoping to reach a decision on how we handle docker rpms (vanilla +/- rh
>> patches)
>>
>> There's the default docker that CentOS gets in extras from RHEL which comes
>> with RH patches (of course). But this kinda comes quite a bit after upstream
>> docker releases.
>>
>> Next up is 'docker' in virt SIG which usually tracks upstream releases. Would
>> people prefer this build be vanilla upstream or with RH patches included.
>>
>> Then there is 'docker-master' in virt SIG which is a daily rebuild of docker
>> upstream master branch + redhat patches.
>>
>> We could either:
>>
>> a) ship 'docker' in virt SIG with RH patches and also provide a
>> 'docker-upstream' which is a vanilla upstream package
>>
>> b) ship 'docker' in virt SIG without any RH patches and provide a
>> 'docker-redhat' with RH patches
>>
>> c) ...anything else??
>
> Well, I think we should ship an AS-IS downstream from the RHEL platform
> as one of the options.
>
> As far as the "more progressive / newer" option, I would think one with
> some RH patches (assuming the RH patches make it more stable than
> vanilla upstream) would be desired.  I this being just the vanilla
> upstream if we really wanted.  But I would think optimized with RH
> patches would likely be better than pure vanilla.
>
> in both cases though, we should "fix" these to actually work whether
> they are broken upstream or not.

Holy moley .. I read that to myself and it sounded fine :)

What I mean is .. one should be the rhel released one (but we can patch
it if it is really broken).

The other one can either be vanilla or newer with RH patches in .. which
ever is more stable.

The goal being things that can reasonably be expected to work, on el7,
though one is newer and moves a bit faster.

I think patching in RH patches to the faster moving one is likely to
make it work better on CentOS.  Hopefully that makes more sense :)