[CentOS-devel] Adding geo distributed builder hardware for cbs.centos.org

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Aug 10 20:16:09 UTC 2015

On 10/08/15 13:48, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 08/10/2015 03:54 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> well, a robust vpn solution in place, as all koji builders need access
>>> to the (nfs shared) central repo. But instead of just having gbit link
>>> at the remote machines end, we should start then by having gbit link
>>> at the origin, which will not be the case.
>>
>> Are you saying that the blades in the same blade center dont have a gbit
>> link to each other ? isnt that where / how the present koji origin is
>> setup ?
>>

> Why would we need geo distributed build hosts?

various architectures will get built and bootstrapped in various places,
splitting these up to feed build, ci, test, community access etc just
dilutes the capacity massively.

> If we wanted geodistributed output (ie, where the builds are actually
> hosted), that would be one thing .. and maybe even needed if there is
> enough bandwidth for downloads.
>
> But geodistributed bulders, to me, are self defeating.  If you need MORE
> builders, put them where the repos they build against live and use them
> there.

i dont think build location and repo location are the same problem
space, one is easily solved without needing the other.

> What would be the benefit of geodistributed build machines?

We've run geo distributed builders since CentOS-4 days, and havent had
any major issues so far :) I am sure we can maximise the impact of
smaller more focused machine donations to the project going forward in
this way as well.

--
Karanbir Singh