[CentOS-devel] NGINX cannot be installed. Possible to include libunwind in CentOS-Base?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Dec 9 12:41:10 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 02:09 PM, Jamie Nguyen wrote:
> On 09/12/15 11:37, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> As you have already mentioned, all the users need to do is to enable the
>> CR repository . Or wait until CentOS 7.2 will be released, which will
>> happen "soon".
>> And given that the CR repository contains exactly what will become
>> CentOS  7.2 (thus behaving like any regular update), I do not see why
>> wouldn't the NGINX users use it.
> I would argue that newcomers to RHEL/CentOS are very likely to have
> heard of EPEL from numerous guides on the Internet, but are unlikely to
> have heard of CR (or even know what CR stands for).
1. the issue only affects CentOS users and it will only happen until
CentOS 7.2 is released
2. Users and especially newcomers are expected to read the docs. In
CentOS 7.2 the CR repo comes preinstalled but disabled.

> Also, if a newcomer happens to hear about CR and read the CR page [0],
> it doesn't exactly fill them with confidence (though I've never actually
> seen breakage on CR, this is what is advertised):
>
>> They are less comprehensively reviewed in the QA validation stage.
>> Will likely have a few more build issues.
>> Please also subscribe to the centos-cr-announce list.
Right. So those with fear in mind should either purchase a RH
subscription or wait until CentOS QA is done. Or ask for advice in one
of the proper CentOS support channels.

> Also, when installing nginx, you get this error message:
>
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: Package: gperftools-libs-2.4-5.el7.x86_64 (epel)
>>             Requires: libunwind.so.8()(64bit)
>>   You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>>   You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
> It's not obvious (to the newcomer) from this error message that the
> solution is to enable CR repository.
It is not obvious at all. But newcomers should read the docs rather that
trying copy/pasting random pieces of advice from google

> Kind regards,
> Jamie
None of your arguments changes the fact that the base repository for
CentOS 7.1 ships exactly what RHEL shipped in its 7.1 release (modulo
the packages which were modified/added/removed by CentOS at the time of
release)  and by definition this cannot change. The only thing that
CentOS could potentially do NOW is to ship the newer libunwind in the
7.1/updates repository but given the potential breakage it might cause
and that the release of 7.2 (which includes the new libunwind in the
base repo) is "around the corner" I highly doubt that this is a good idea.