[CentOS-devel] NGINX cannot be installed. Possible to include libunwind in CentOS-Base?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 23:10:16 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 02:28 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> This is a terrible solution. Its a kludge for the best way, and just
> highlights the dire need for EPEL to be better integrated into the
> CentOS side of things.

How should EPEL resolve the situation?

If they kept their own libunwind package, that would violate their
policy against conflicting with packages in RHEL.

EPEL could have two branches, for RHEL and CentOS separately, and push
packages to the CentOS repo when CentOS catches up with RHEL. That seems
like a lot of work to cover a relatively rare problem.

I don't see another reasonable way they could resolve the situation, as
long as CentOS and RHEL are on asynchronous release schedules.

It seems like CentOS might be able to partially resolve the problem by
beginning work on their update releases when RHEL goes into beta, rather
than waiting for general availability.  I don't know if those packages
are or could be available to CentOS during beta, though. There's some
risk that RH would make changes that would invalidate some of the work
done during beta, but I don't know how often that happens in practice.
What are your thoughts?