[CentOS-devel] NGINX cannot be installed. Possible to include libunwind in CentOS-Base?

Jamie Nguyen

j at jamielinux.com
Wed Dec 9 12:09:42 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 11:37, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> As you have already mentioned, all the users need to do is to enable the
> CR repository . Or wait until CentOS 7.2 will be released, which will
> happen "soon".
> And given that the CR repository contains exactly what will become
> CentOS  7.2 (thus behaving like any regular update), I do not see why
> wouldn't the NGINX users use it.

I would argue that newcomers to RHEL/CentOS are very likely to have
heard of EPEL from numerous guides on the Internet, but are unlikely to
have heard of CR (or even know what CR stands for).

Also, if a newcomer happens to hear about CR and read the CR page [0],
it doesn't exactly fill them with confidence (though I've never actually
seen breakage on CR, this is what is advertised):

> They are less comprehensively reviewed in the QA validation stage.
> Will likely have a few more build issues.
> Please also subscribe to the centos-cr-announce list.

Also, when installing nginx, you get this error message:

> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Package: gperftools-libs-2.4-5.el7.x86_64 (epel)
>            Requires: libunwind.so.8()(64bit)
>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>  You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

It's not obvious (to the newcomer) from this error message that the
solution is to enable CR repository.

Kind regards,
Jamie

[0]: From https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR