[CentOS-devel] influence and impact instead of packagers

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Feb 4 19:01:05 UTC 2015

hi

One key aspect to the proper functioning of our SIGs is the ability for
people to reach out in user, contributor and advisor roles ( each of
those is key, in decreasing levels of impact ). However, the way we are
setting up right now is still very much driven by the idea of packagers
and rpms in repos.

For example, $project working off their github repo - delivering sources
for a centos userbase should also have some level of influence over what
goes in and out of the repos and how the repos are lined up ; just like
any other SIG might. And components in a SIG should be able to impact
components in other SIG resources.

A more specific example locally within the ecosystem might be that Cloud
SIG should have some expectation around what the VirtSIG is doing and
the StorageSIG is doing without needing to be co-authors on packages.

The same would be true for EPEL and other external repos that we might
want to rope into a common pool at some point. Folks doing the
consumption part of the components should have the ability to assert
influence and impact on the providers backing the content.

I have some ideas on how we can make this happen, but nothing that is
simple nor straightforward in a complete cycle. The biggest challenge is
in mindset down the contributor path.

Maybe as a first step, we should consider having a common criteria on
what is considered stable and what is considered releasable - without
removing the ability for the SIG's and their hosted projects to still
deliver a user story they want ( and ideally, in line with their
ultimate upstream desires ).

Thoughts ?

--
Karanbir Singh