[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS Extras & Plus SIG

Brian Stinson bstinson at ksu.edu
Sat Feb 7 16:18:52 UTC 2015

On Feb 07 16:56, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is just a idea that I'm having and I'm looking for feedback. So
> that is why the RFC tag is in the subject ;)
>
> So the idea is to create a SIG that plays the role of
> coordinater/janitor for the CentOS Extras and Plus repos. With 2 goals
> in mind:
>
> 1. Allow people to contribute packages and patches to the mentioned
> repo's. Ideally people would own a package, but the SIG would also
> take on one-offs. I personally would like to contribute updated
> haproxy and python-spynner packages.
>
> 2. It the other SIG's want to this SIG can be the place to hand off
> common packages between the SIG's and do some coordination between the
> SIG's to make sure nothing breaks.
>
> So what do you think? Good idea, bad idea, suggestions, ...
>
> Kind regards,
> Tim
>

> --
> Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83
>
> Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
> "microsoft approach to programming" and should never be allowed.
> (Linus Torvalds)

+1, I think this is definitely a role that would meet some needs. This
could be a full-fledged SIG or even just a group of trusted community
members.

I would add that the "Coordination SIG" would probably be a good place
for to help bootstrap/maintain packages in EPEL and other repos common
to the SIGs.

Perhaps we should set up a page on the wiki to help track the proposal
as we continue discussion here.

Cheers!
Brian

--