[CentOS-devel] setting up an emergency update route

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Feb 8 11:08:02 UTC 2015

On 07/02/15 15:12, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking a bit about this. The best solution IMHO besides
> building your our CDN, which is indeed a bit over the top for this, is
> to push these updates instead of working with a pull method. So would
> it be possible to find some mirrors that would allow us to push
> packages into our repo's on their servers. In case of releases that
> need to go out quickly we could use a seperate mirrorlist that only
> includes our servers and the mirrors that allows us to push to. So we
> can move the needed packages our quickly and let users get them fast.
> Later as the other mirrors sync up we just go back to the normal
> mirrorlist.

this point was agued a bit earlier as well, it has legs and I think we
might be able to make it work. What we will however need, just off the
top of my head :
1) a way for mirrors to sign up to this
2) a way for us to deliver the requirements ( a sanity check script, a
rsync target, a ssh-key pub key that we'd hold priv key for etc ).
3) a way to make sure we are sanity testing this process every few hours
/ days / weeks to make sure that when its needed, it works.
4) a way to feedback the 'X mirror' now has 'content delivered' - and
get that metadata into the mirrorlist hosts on ipv4 and ipv6.

(1) might be just a case of having people signup via bugs.centos.org and
have (2) be delivered as a wiki article, and have an automated script
that can then test it for the user before its added to the
checker/delivery/notify scripts. (3) and (4) are going to need a bit
more work.

also, we are going to need some specifics for mirrors to need to meet
for including, eg: geo spread, capacity to host, manage etc.

--
Karanbir Singh