[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 - gnome-initial-setup with uid < 500

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:06:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2015 07:58 AM, Olivier Delhomme wrote:
>>
>> I looked at the processes running and found that gdm is running spawning a
>> session with parameter "--gnome-initial-setup" (removing all files beginning
>> with gnome-initial-setup in /etc/xdg/autostart/ does not work !).
>

> rpm -e gnome-initial-setup
>
> Or "-gnome-initial-setup" in your kickstart package list, so that it's not
> installed in the first place.

rpm -qa | sort > pkg.list
grep -i gnome pkg.list | while read name; do
    yum remove $name
done

Gives you a chance to pick and choose what to delete. Gnome has become
*extremely* bloated, and most environments would benefit from clearing
out much of the excess debris with a double-check to make sure you
don't rip out something you actually want.