[CentOS-devel] Centos 7.i686

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jan 5 12:51:52 UTC 2015

On 12/26/2014 05:24 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 25/12/14 16:54, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
>> Dear Devs:
>>     I have been reading this mailing list since C7 came out and of
>> late have not seen much progress on C7.i686 aka 32 bit.  I don't see a
>> SIG for it on the Centos Pages.  I am wondering has the idea been
>> dropped or where does it stand?
>
> the larger goal is to let this effort be user-led, so starting up a SIG
> might be a good way to go here. I know that the original bootstrap had
> most of the builds done - and Andreas ( assited by others ) had gotten
> most of the bits done. There would be a need to run the updates, and
> then also identify what portion of the distro is not going to make it to
> i686 at all. The rest from there should be easy...
>
> As I did with the powerpc effort, happy to host a i686 specific google
> hangout where I can walk people through the build process, and what they
> need to do in order to affect builds in the centos buildsystem.
>
> - KB

I now have a working syslinux and kernel in git.centos.org under c7-i686

I am building those every time they update for i686 as well as x86_64

I have all the RPMs currently built, including the java-1.6.0-openjdk
built that was an issue .. I'll post the RPM list and what is missing
(compared to x86_64) and we can try to figure out what we need to make
build (We may need to change some other things that they made
exclusivearch x86_64, like they did syslinux)

Then we can get an i686 test spin out.

Here is the kernel and syslinux links for i686

https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!kernel.git/refs!heads!c7-i686

https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!syslinux/refs!heads!c7-i686

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes