[CentOS-devel] kickstart extra minimal

PatrickD Garvey patrickdgarveyt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:56:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/15/2015 01:27 PM, PatrickD Garvey wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Because more people have github accounts than git.centos
>>> accounts. I'll look into mirroring between them.
>>>
>>> -- Jim Perrin
>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> I think I'll wait to ask more penetrating questions until after
>> I've made use of git for a while. I just have some ideas based on
>> sketchy information about git that duplicate files in the two have
>> no added value.
>
> Git (and other DVCS systems) takes a bit of a different mental
> approach than a traditional hub-and-spoke model. Each Git repo
> contains a complete history of all changes from each other repo, so
> the changes and history are distributed rather than centralized. In
> that case, it's all duplicates, from my local git checkout to each
> other checkout. Where we say e.g. git.centos.org is a central
> repository, that is more a convention we choose rather than a
> limitation (feature) of the Git software.

I think that paragraph confirms my suspicion that I need never move
code from one git to another, but there is some mechanism by which the
people using each notify their git about the other and code is shared
across the gap semi-automatically. This is where I expect experience
to inform me better than generous attempts to explain it ahead of
time.

> The reason for using GitHub is that it has become something akin to
> "social coding". It is now a normal behavior to fork a GitHub repo,
> make changes, and offer them back via a pull request. It's a very low
> barrier for people interested in offering subtle-to-big code changes,
> documentation changes, etc. (vs joining a mailing list to submit a patch.)

This seems to indicate there is some human-to-human communication cost
to sharing across two git domain names. Again, I look to my future
experience for a deeper understanding.

> However, there is a risk to an open source project to put all the code
> in a closed source application as the central repository, e.g. putting
> all ones eggs in one basket. For this reason, the recommendation is to
> have the project's git repository be primary (canonical), and use
> GitHub for the ease-of-use, by mirroring changes back-and-forth
> between the two git repos.

I've seen indications there are some objections to using GitHub from
some quarters. Are you saying GitHub is closed source? I had meant to
investigate the rumblings for enlightenment. One only has so much time
to learn the basic knowledge and I often defer the cultural knowledge
investigations.

If there are legitimate concerns about using a tool outside the
CentOS.org domain, it seems to me, the project needs to find a way to
bridge the gap. I understand the reluctance to lose contributions from
people outside the domain. I also understand the comfort levels
generated by using what one has used successfully, especially mental
models about how tools work behind the scenes.

Thank you, Karsten, for your time. I hope it has been beneficial to
the CentOS project also.