[CentOS-devel] Publish Errata for CentOS

Tony Coffman tony at emitony.com
Wed Jan 21 16:06:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:28 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> the question isnt 'how' its just a xml file, you can write it by hand if
> you wish. the question is what do we put inside it and how do we make
> sure what we put inside it is accurate.

Why not do a minimal version that simply includes the information from
the centos-announce mailing list and no external data?  There are a
few other errata fields that can simply be filled in with "not
available".  This minimal solution is nearly there using existing open
source scripts tied together.

People are effectively doing a version of this today if they are using
CEFS without OVAL data or if they are using one of the many
centos-announce mailing list errata scraping tools without RHN or OVAL
data.  That means this usage is important to at least some portion of
the community.

The result will be a bare bones updateinfo.xml but it would still be
useful to many.

Community members who need CVE fix assurances or detailed errata
should be paying Red Hat for proper support anyway.

Regards,
--Tony Coffman