[CentOS-devel] source code of Centos

Rock Lee rocklee_104 at sina.com
Sun Jan 25 04:01:18 UTC 2015

>On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Rock Lee <rocklee_104 at sina.com> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>>      I want to make a linux OS based on Centos recently. I searched on
>> Google several days, but still can't find the whole source code of Centos.
>> Is there any way to get the whole source code of Centos, like android, just
>> do a few command and then get the image files
>
>The short answer is "no". CentOS is mostly a clean rebuild of RHEL,
>and for their latest release, RHEL has decided to publish the publicly
>available source code at https://git.centos.org/. Setting up the build
>tree to build the whole thing from source, including the build
>environments, is a lot of time and resources that I suspect you do
>*not* want to invest months in, and it takes  hundreds if not
>thousands of hours on a modest system to build that while thing from
>scratch. Basically, you can do it, but you'll always be chasing
>updates and errata and minor copyright or trademark or license issues
>to keep it maintained.
>

>There are several free, quite usable rebuilds of RHEL, including
>CentOS and Scientific Linux (which have different policies about
>add-on tools). So I urge you not to go there: if you need a few
>packages modified, it should be straightforward to use "mock" to build
>packages, add a yum repository at OS installation time, and pull the
>relevant packages from your personal repository. This approach is very
>common and can work very well. I use it to publish samba 4.1.x with
>full domain controller features activated for RHEL 6 based operating
>systems.

Hi, Nico & Stephen:
Thanks for your reply. It is really a daunting work to build the whole thing.
Actually, what I need to modify are linux kernel and several tools,  like e2fsprogs,
for example. After build my personal packages, how to add a yum repository
at OS installation time? BTW, when installing the OS, how can I format  disk with
my personal tools?