[CentOS-devel] building an AWS specific kernel

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jan 20 16:09:34 UTC 2015

hi,

In order to resolve a problem we have with the new c4.8xlarge instance
type, we need to carry a patch that isnt in the main distro kernel.

Therefore, we are going to roll the patch into a kernel with disttag
.e6.aws and use that for the x86_64/CentOS-6 AMI images refresh for Jan
'15. And setup a repo for folks using that AMI to get, and continue to
get their kernel updates.

This patch should make it into the upstream kernel, and when it does, we
will discontinue the .el6.aws kernel - resulting in users just rebasing
over to the regular distro kernel.

there is no impact on the c7 ami's, this is an issue limited to the
centos6 kernels.

ref: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8016

--
Karanbir Singh