[CentOS-devel] Port CloudSigma to CentOS's CloudInit

Nikola Tassev

nikola at cloudsigma.com
Thu Jan 29 13:26:10 UTC 2015

Jim Perrin <jperrin at ...> writes:

> On 12/17/2014 06:21 AM, Viktor Petersson wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I had a conversation with Jim Perrin and Karanbir Singh about this and
it
> > should be relatively trivial. However, Jim suggested that we moved the
> > discussion here.
> >
> > Here is the status today:
> >
> >  * The CloudSigma provider for CloudInit is complete and is maintained
by
> > Canonical[1] and is included in (12.04 and forward)
> >  * Jim wrote a patch (attached). It isn't complete, but it is a start.
>
> Indeed. All my patch did was to sync the upstream
> DataSourceCloudSigma.py file to what was currently in our cloud-init
> package.
>
> >  * There is also a port to CoreOS (re-written in Go) [2]
> >  * Since I didn't write the code, I don't know of the exact workflow,
but I
> > think these are the relevant files:
> >  **  cloudinit/cs_utils.py
> >  **  cloudinit/sources/DataSourceCloudSigma.py
> >  **  tests/unittests/test_datasource/test_cloudsigma.py
> >
> > I'm involved with CloudSigma, and I'd be happy to sponsor anyone
willing to
> > take on the task of porting this with resources at CloudSigma for
testing.
> > Unfortunately, I don't have any internal resources to allocate towards
this
> > at this point, but I know that we have plenty of customers running
CentOS that
> > would love to see this happen.
> >
> > I'd also be happy with answering any questions and help with the QA of
this.

> The only part of this that seems unusual to me is the reliance on an
> external application (dmidecode) which we currently don't ship in the
> the cloud images. I freely admit to not being overly 'cloudy' so I'll
> happily defer judgment to others in the community.

Hello,

I am testing the cloud-init behavior of a pristine CentOS 7 cloud image
downloaded from
http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2
in CloudSigma.

Right now the only reason it is not working of the box, it that there is a
missing dependency
of the cloud-init package. The CloudSigma data source requires pyserial to
be present,
but it is not installed by default on this image.

Is it possible to add the pyserial package as an extra dependency? It is
already listed as
a dependency in the requirements.txt of cloud-init sources and in
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloud_init-0.7.5-py2.7.egg-
info/requires.txt so
adding pyserial as RPM dependency will be consistent with cloud-init Python
sources.

The same reason and observations are applicable for the CentOS 6 cloud-init
package.

Thanks!