[CentOS-devel] Centos 7.i686

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Mon Jan 5 13:01:36 UTC 2015

On 05/01/15 13:51, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/26/2014 05:24 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 25/12/14 16:54, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
>>> Dear Devs: I have been reading this mailing list since C7 came
>>> out and of late have not seen much progress on C7.i686 aka 32
>>> bit.  I don't see a SIG for it on the Centos Pages.  I am
>>> wondering has the idea been dropped or where does it stand?
>>
>> the larger goal is to let this effort be user-led, so starting up
>> a SIG might be a good way to go here. I know that the original
>> bootstrap had most of the builds done - and Andreas ( assited by
>> others ) had gotten most of the bits done. There would be a need
>> to run the updates, and then also identify what portion of the
>> distro is not going to make it to i686 at all. The rest from
>> there should be easy...
>>
>> As I did with the powerpc effort, happy to host a i686 specific
>> google hangout where I can walk people through the build process,
>> and what they need to do in order to affect builds in the centos
>> buildsystem.
>>
>> - KB
>>

> I now have a working syslinux and kernel in git.centos.org under
> c7-i686
>
> I am building those every time they update for i686 as well as
> x86_64
>
> I have all the RPMs currently built, including the
> java-1.6.0-openjdk built that was an issue .. I'll post the RPM
> list and what is missing (compared to x86_64) and we can try to
> figure out what we need to make build (We may need to change some
> other things that they made exclusivearch x86_64, like they did
> syslinux)
>
> Then we can get an i686 test spin out.
>
> Here is the kernel and syslinux links for i686
>
> https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!kernel.git/refs!heads!c7-i686
>
> https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!syslinux/refs!heads!c7-i686

I had to reinstall an old thinkpad (family laptop used by the kids)
and wanted to build a C7/i386 livecd to install it with minimal
desktop, but some packages (like ibus-sayura) are missing from
buildlogs.centos.org and no build logs either for i386, meaning no
built was even tried ..
Can we just massively try to build all packages to i386 to at least
have logs and see why they fail (or not) ?

- --

Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab