[CentOS-devel] Feedback on C7 Vagrant Box

Jeff Sheltren

jeff at tag1consulting.com
Thu Jul 9 13:37:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:18 AM, Timothy Rees <reestr.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would suggest keeping the root volume as minimal as possible for the
> box and then let the end users to grow it using methods provided by
> Vagrant.  Anyone then can grow the volume to their specific use case,
> its a lot easier than reducing a default, large disk provided with a
> box.

The box file size doesn't increase by creating a larger disk partition by
default; it dynamically resizes to grow as space is used within the VM.
>From the Vagrant docs (https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/boxes/base.html):

"For example, in VirtualBox, you should create a dynamically resizing drive
with a large maximum size. This causes the actual footprint of the drive to
be small initially, but to dynamically grow towards the max size as disk
space is needed, providing the most flexibility for the end user."

I'm not aware of any method for automatically resizing the disk of a base
box. See e.g.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/317338/how-can-i-increase-disk-size-on-a-vagrant-vm/318711#318711
for a workaround -- but I'd definitely not push that onto e.g. web
developers using these VMs, and if I'd have to save my own box image, I'd
just create one from scratch in the first place.

Am I missing some method for resizing the image easily on the fly?  If so,
that seems to contradict the Vagrant docs.

-Jeff