[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 (1503) i686 Beta Architecture

Vladimir Stackov amigo.elite at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 10:46:25 UTC 2015

Greetings,

currently we are maintaining own CentOS 7 i686 rebuild and I would like to
kindly ask you to replace following macros from gcc.spec:

%if 0%{?rhel} >= 7
%ifarch %{ix86}
   --with-arch=x86-64 \
%endif
%ifarch x86_64
   --with-arch_32=x86-64 \
%endif

with that:

%if 0%{?rhel} >= 7
%ifarch %{ix86}
        --with-arch=i686 \
%endif
%ifarch x86_64
        --with-arch_32=i686 \
%endif

x86-64 causes gcc to use extended instruction set for produced code and
it's impossible to run CentOS 7 i686 on older systems without SSE2
instruction because of SIGILL.
This affects Pentium 3, old VIA CPUs, old Xeons and some others.

Is that possible?
Thanks!

> All,
>
> The Beta release of the 32-bit (i686) Architecture of CentOS-7 (1503) is
> currently on build logs.
>

> Right now, only the boot.iso is available, but after some testing from
> the users here with feedback, we can spin another tree with fixes and
> actual installer isos.
>
> http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/os/i386/
>
> updates are also here:
>
> http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/updates/i386/
>
> Current known issues are:
>
> 1.  If installing on a QEMU (kvm) i386 VM, you must modify the VM cpu to
> use "copy host cpu"
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8748
>
> 2.  The gnome desktop will not exit or log out from the menu.
>
>  http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8834
>
> If someone can figure out how to fix this issue, it would be much
> appreciated :)

> Please report bugs on bugs.centos.org or to this Centos-Devel mailing
> list will we do the beta testing and lets see if we can find/fix all the
> issues before the full release of this arch.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Kind regards,
Vladimir.