[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 (1503) i686 Beta Architecture

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 5 21:09:48 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 03:41 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> Is it really worth the effort? The last Pentium III was released in 2002
> and you couldn't buy them after 2003 so we're talking about machines
> that are 12 or more years old. The fastest one you could ever buy is
> outperformed by a factor of more than 2 times by each core on my dual
> core 2010 vintage Intel Atom D510.

I don't mind the effort of compiling so much as the potential for
massive confusion with 2 packages named the same thing but compiled with
different gcc optimizations, as we would still have to provide the other
packages i686 packages in x86_64 arch for multilib.

But, I do agree that trying to run this on 12 year old machines is is
not going to be easy.  CentOS-7 does not perform well without at least
1.5GB - 2GB of RAM as well.  (The installer does not even work well with
less than 1 GB RAM)

If enough people really want it, I guess it could be done as part of the
AltArch Special Interest Group .. but my initial take is not positive
because of the confusion potential.