[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 (1503) i686 Beta Architecture

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 19:34:40 UTC 2015

On Jun 6, 2015 10:06, "Lamar Owen" <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> On 06/06/2015 03:38 AM, Toni Spets wrote:
>>
>> If you think it this way, why bother with the i686 build at all? Your
dual core 2010 vintage Intel Atom D510 can run 64-bit CentOS 7 anyway. This
is why dropping SSE2 requirement would be benefitical as it would allow
running it with a larger amount of x86 CPUs that can't run the 64-bit
variation at all.

> Older Xeon systems that are non-64bit capable are one set of possible
targets.  If PAE is disabled, Pentium M is likewise a good target (we're
running Windows 7 Pro here on some Dell Latitude D610's with reasonable
performance; CentOS would run on these quite well, as they are single-core
2GHz Pentium M with 2GB of RAM and somewhat reasonable ATI X300 video, if
PAE isn't required).  Of course, NetBurst Xeon is a performance pig, but a
non-profit that has an older but high-quality server with NetBurst Xeon in
it might not have the discretionary funds to obtain a similar quality
system with a more modern and power-efficient CPU; they'll run it until it
breaks and it's no longer discretionary to replace it.

> Pentium M on the other hand performs very well at 2GHz.  We have a number
of D600's, but they are just not quite up to the task of running Win7
reasonably well.  That era, 2004 or so, seems to be the break-point for
boxes that are still very usable running modern workloads.  D600's still
make excellent service laptops for things requiring serial ports (like our
datum SSU-2000 timeserver with a PRS45A cesium primary refclock).  I have a
couple of D600's parked at a co-lo just for that sort of troubleshooting
purpose where RS-232 is still needed, and another D600 running the software
for our Advin Pilot EPROM programmer, which needs a parallel port
connection (I did mention specialty hardware before.....).

The part not addressed in this is getting the 2 main windowing systems to
work well in such 'constrained' environments as neither KDE or gnome think
such hardware worth dealing with issues on (if it works great if it doesn't
tough from previous experience trying to get help). So you are ending up
having to customize more and .more to the point it isn't really centos
anymore.

>> Surveying CentOS 6 users who run the i686 version on non-SSE2 CPUs would
also give some sort of indication how many potential users are going to be
left out and would need to change their enterprise grade distribution to
something else when EOL hits.

> I'm still running a 32-bit CentOS 5 install due to some proprietary
software that is not available yet in a 64-bit form.  Keeping up to date
with security fixes while running this software will become increasingly
difficult, but when a hardware vendor doesn't or didn't provide 64-bit
driver modules what exactly are you supposed to do for specialized hardware
that is expected to be in production for 15 years?  (Yes, 15 years, per the
grant proposal language.....)

>> My specific use case isn't really worth CentOS 7. I don't think I would
ever *really* run anything useful on a 12 year old laptop, it was just the
only x86 system I still have around. The CPU generation itself, however,
isn't completely useless for some other tasks.

> I'm finding that laptops from the 2004-2006 era are really robust and
seem to continue to just work and do their job sufficiently well to where
my employer, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public foundation, is having
difficulty getting donations of anything dual-core or better, and funding
just isn't there yet to roll in newer stuff.  So the dozen or so D610's we
have running Windows 7 get heavy use, and our few Core Duo Dell Inspiron
640M's and 9400's are still workhorses.  Hmph, I just last fall upgraded
from a Dell D830 as my primary laptop, and I still use the D830/M4300's I
have as CentOS 7 machines that are quite reasonable performers.  I'd love
to get a dozen or two D830/M4300's donated, as long as they still have good
video or are Intel video D830s.

> Most end users don't need anything more powerful than a Core 2 Duo T8300
or similar for most tasks.

> I'll end this post with the following excerpts from a couple of
still-in-production machines just to give an indication of how old things
can really get in production in linux-land: one here, and one at a client,
both of which are locked at the versions indicated due to various issues,
mostly having to do with hardware support (no, neither of them are directly
exposed to the internet, and, yes, the client knows how badly they need to
upgrade, as do we.... but, both machines are doing their respective jobs,
doing them well, and in these particular cases the time won't be funded to
upgrade until they actually break...):