[CentOS-devel] c7-power64 proof of concept

James O'Connor

jpoc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jun 25 01:36:38 UTC 2015

I realize the altarch-power64 SIG is not officially established, but I want to share some technical progress. I created a private c7-power64 koji hub/builder environment using a pair of Fedora 22 PowerKVM guests. One guest is running Fedora 22 ppc64 and serving as a ppc/ppc64 koji builder. The second guest is running Fedora 22 ppc64le and serving as a ppc64le koji builder, koji hub, postgresql and httpd server. A pair of koji builders (ppc64, ppc64le) could be setup to integrate with cbs.centos.org instead of creating a separate koji hub.

I created a c7-power64-build tag that contains arches "ppc64 ppc64le" and I am using Fedora 22 external koji repositories to serve as a build backstop until enough c7-power64 rpms are built. I am currently building with src rpms from http://vault.centos.org/7.1.1503/os/Source/SPackages/ although some ppc64le specific patches will need to be pulled from the c7-ppc64le branch on git.centos.org

$ koji taginfo c7-power64-build
Tag: c7-power64-build [2]
Arches: ppc64 ppc64le
Groups: build, srpm-build
This tag is a buildroot for one or more targets
Current repo: repo#16: 2015-06-24 18:16:29.668635
Targets that build from this tag:
  c7-power64
External repos:
   10 f22-ppc64 (http://c7-ppc64.localnet/mirror/f22/ppc64/os/)
   15 f22-ppc64le (http://c7-ppc64le.localnet/mirror/f22/ppc64le/os/)
Inheritance:
  0    .... c7-power64 [1]

Next steps involve resolving some toolchain hiccups. c7 binutils fails to build with Fedora 22 gcc-5.1 and c7 gcc.ppc64 fails to build because Fedora 22 doesn’t have a 32-bit libc.so.6 needed for multilib gcc. To preserve the RHEL 7 ppc/ppc64 multilib environment a few interim c7 gcc/glibc builds will be needed.

Happy to share any configuration steps or help do the work on official CentOS infrastructure as we move forward with an altarch-power64 SIG.