[CentOS-devel] cbs feature req: building embargoed content

George Dunlap dunlapg at umich.edu
Wed Mar 11 11:48:26 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Brian Stinson <bstinson at ksu.edu> wrote:
>> > When we brought this up at the CBS meeting I remember talking about
>> > having the SIGs do local mockbuilds (perhaps on devcloud?) and then
>> > commit to their branches after the embargo is lifted. Are there some
>> > requirements that aren't covered by that workflow?
>>
>> there is no way to prep-ahead and test-ahead using this, also it means
>> folks need to be around and standing by as embargo is lifted. in many
>> cases, thats not possible.
>>
>> I'm assuming that you meant commit to their branch, then trigger a
>> build, and then do the testing.
>
> Something like:
>
> 1) Create VM on devcloud
> 2) Pull package from git.c.o
> 3) Patch with embargoed content
> 4) `centpkg mockbuild`
> 5) Local tests
>    - Should be valid since they would be building against koji repos
> 6) (Once the Embargo is lifted) Commit, push, and build in koji
> 7) CI Tests?
> 8) Tag/Sign/Release

One of the main issues with this is how long it takes from the time
the public embargo is lifted until there are signed packages ready for
users to download.  And as KB said, it also requires a dev to be able
to actually available to start / babysit / &c the whole process at the
specific time the embargo is lifted, which may not be very practical.

Ideally we'd like to be able to have binaries in the public repos as
soon as the embargo is lifted.  Furthermore, in the case of Xen at
least, we are (in general) allowed to share the binary packages with
other members of the pre-disclosure list.  (There are a number of
public cloud providers who use CentOS, for example.)  It would be nice
to be able to provide them with the same (signed) binary we intend to
release when the embargo period is lifted.

 -George