[CentOS-devel] Fixing up Xfce for CentOS 7

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 16 18:31:21 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Anders F Björklund
<afb at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Toni Spets wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>

>> If you all do decide to go this way, we should still coordinate a bit,
>>
>> as some people will undoutably get Xfce from epel and enable your sig
>> stuff and we want to make sure they don't mix poorly.
>

> From the looks of it, I've mostly got chiming in towards option A than B
> off-list so I really doubt we would go full SIG Xfce route since you seem to
> be accepting of our help getting EPEL fixed up and sticking with 4.10 has
> benefits of its own. We could always have a separate 4.12 COPR like
> nonamedotc does for F21 for those who want it but keep all default stuff to
> minimal branding packages + EPEL.
>

> This seems like a good idea (providing the COPR), but apparently this (Xfce
> in EPEL) handled by the Xfce SIG rather than the EPEL SIG. Or perhaps both
> of the Fedora SIGs at once, but at any rate it's not in CentOS Extras.
>
> Putting the packages in a COPR was how it was handled last year, and it
> seems that it didn't work out perfectly ? But perhaps with some more
> awareness and documentation, it could be a better and more stable option.
>
> http://nonamedotclinux.blogspot.com/2014/03/xfce-410-on-epel-7.html
>
> https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/nonamedotc/xfce412/

nonamedotc and myself have been working on epel7-xfce412 packages over here:
    https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/maxamillion/epel7-xfce412/

If anyone is interested in helping test or fix issues, please feel
free to join in. If you would like to help fix things and work on
package builds, please just request build permissions on the COPR and
either nonamedotc or myself will be happy to approve.

My apologies for not being more vocal about the work that's going on,
on my end this has been done in free time as I've been able to find it
but it's scarce right now for various personal life reasons. I'm
always open to more collaboration. :)

-AdamM